Wednesday 17 December 2008

Curitiba

Here in Curitiba the weather continues to be awful. Today it is pouring with rain, almost as bad as english weather. I was going to try and get the tourist bus today, which is kind of like those ones you get in London you know? It takes you all over the main tourist attractions in town and you can get on and off it several times. The weather is so awful though that I doubt it is worth it. I don't even dare adventure into town because I am going to get wet. I can't picture myself then getting the bus to Paraty via Sao Paulo with soggy socks and trainers: gross! Luckily I still have the bin bag rain coat I bought in Foz so I think I am going to have to wear that. I am going to look like a right hobo/tourist with that on, but I don't have much choice. I came totally unprepared for rain and/or cold weather so.... ARGH!! Today I am going to have to spend my day being bored either on the internet, in front of the TV (thank god there is one) or reading. Not sleeping as I have decided to get the last bus out to Sao Paulo and I will need to sleep on that. I had a bit of a debate about what to do next. When I arrived in Curitiba it was cold and grey already. I decided to give the weather a chance though and stay on a bit. Then I couldn't decide whether or not I should go to Guaratingueta which is where Mestre Ze Antonio's academy is in order to train capoeira, or whether I should go straight to Paraty and spend more time there than planned, or whether I should go back to Sao Paulo. I was really keen on going back to capoeira especially since I haven't done much these last few days and training would be good. In the end though, I decided to go straight to Paraty as going to Guara would just mean more time, more money, more buses....Sad decision I know but I will maybe go there later on. I wanted to go back to Sao Paulo too but didn't want to disturb Flavia and Margaret again, especially as we are getting closer to Christmas and Flavia has come home. So straight to Paraty it is! I hope that there the weather will be better, or in any case warmer than it is here. I have to say, I am well disappointed by this weather! I left Europe for sun not for this, otherwise I could be skiing right now!!

Curitiba is ok in itself. The place where I am staying is right out of town so it's nice because it's quiet and removed and it's in a nice setting, but it's not so good for going into town especially at night as there is nothing to do. It also means there is no food nearby... The bus ride into town is quite a laugh though because this little yellow bus goes bounding up and down the road quite literally and it is such a bouncy ride that you really have to hold on! It's not very comfortable but it's funny! The town is supposed to be the most "European" but I can't really see it. Ok, I suppose it does have more big green spaces and squares, and it does feel a bit wealthier I suppose than other places I have been yet (all of 2). And also the transport system is pretty good. But really, that is all that is European about it. It is relatively nice though and feels safe and easy to walk around. The first day I just walked around the centre actually looking for the Rua das Flores that I never found, but I did get to see a bit of the centre. At the hostel I met two people: Irene and Venetius. Irene was an american girl who had been living in Salvador for the past 3 months and Venetius was a Brazilian guy from Sao Paulo. They were quite nice and so we just hung out together in the evenings seeing as there was not much to do. The next day we all went into the city together, and decided to go for another walk around. We found the historic part of the city but it was practically deserted so we went on a hunt for food. We found a total bargain place with an all you can eat buffet for 5.50 reais!! Then we continued walking around and went to see a park but it was closed coz it was Monday. They are almost as bad as the french for this: such an annoying habit! Anyway we didn't really get that much done but I guess it was nice to have some company to see the city with. Oh, I forgot to say that we happened upon a little Christmas crafts market down on one of the squares in the city. That was nice.

Yesterday I ventured out into town again, determined to do some sort of sightseeing before I left otherwise it would be embarassing! Made it to the bus station to try and buy a bus ticket but then realised I didn't have enough money. Enquired about the tourist bus but then decided I didn't have enough time to do it and I didn't want to be rushed. So I got the regular bus to the TV tower and went up that for a panoramic view of the city. The one sight seeing thing I did that day! Now I wish I had got on the tourist bus anyway as today the weather is so terrible I don't think it is worth it. I guess I could get on it and stay in just to go around the city...So I will leave Curitiba tonight and hopefully head on to a better place. Now I need to put on the bin bag raincoat and head into town, if anything for some lunch. Eating cheap here means eating badly:fatty and greasy! Probably why I am feeling the need to do some exercise and having cravings for sushi! Anyway, guess that's all for now. Today is my graduation day but I won't be at the ceremony. Happy Graduation to all other LSE people though. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma, interesting to see what you are doing. Falls look fantastic and i love the look of the food hall in S Paolo. Hope weather cheering up, poor you after such a wet English summer.
Here (sorry to mention this) the snow is fantastic for skiing. Love Elizabeth (Laravoire)

Vinicius Cabral said...

Hi it´s Me vinicius,

Your blog very cooll

congratulations