Monday 26 January 2009

PS

Bad on my behalf, I forgot to mention that whilst in Salvador, Veronica and I had been training with Mestre Jogo de Dentro. He is such a cool guy, and a lovely man! It was really nice to go and be able to train angola with him, as he really is one of the best, or at least in my opinion. His academy was lovely too: it was all painted in green black and white, with pictures and paintings on the walls. The nicest thing was that even all the instruments had been painted green white and black: the berimbaus, the drums, the pandeiros, the agogo, even the caixixis! His classes were really good too, although the first time both Veronica and I made the mistake of eating before we went, and I had to drop out half way through because I felt so ill...His class/roda, was also a lot less formal than Mestre Curio's, which just goes to show the differences between Masters and within capoeira...

We also bought our berimbaus from Mestre Jogo, Mascote having put in a special order of 10 berimbaus, which Veronica and I lugged from the class to mine, and the next day from mine to hers. I wish I had a photo to commemorate this, me carrying all the cabassas, and poor old Veronica lugging the sticks on to the bus, and up the hill....Still, we did a good thing buying from Mestre Jogo as it always helps them and their academies, and his berimbaus are good. Anyway, that's all for now, just felt I couldn't leave out Mestre Jogo!

I also forgot to mention that in Salvador I saw the most fascinating person ever. It was a man who had tattoos all over his face! It started out by Veronica pointing him out to me saying "Emma, look at that guy's bum" as he was wearing the tightest pair of capoeira trousers I have ever seen, and his bum was hanging out of them more or less. But as I took a closer look at him, I realised that his entire face was tattooed. It was so fascinating to look at, whilst quite repulsive at the same time. It meant that, you had no idea what he actually looked like, and it was as if he had a mask on his face permanently, so that one would never know what he actually looked like. It was great!

No comments: